This program allows students with undergraduate degrees in computer science or other engineering or scientific disciplines (or even social science disciplines with a demonstrated aptitude for math and science) to get the training to pursue a career in applied data science.
Students completing this degree will have learned the skills required to work as a data scientist, including a basic understanding of data science techniques, the ability to write data science programs in Python, knowledge and experience in working with both databases and big data infrastructure, skills in applying machine learning and data mining techniques, and knowledge of how to apply these skills to real-world problems.
Our students are immersed in the overall field of data analytics, the role of the analyst and/or data scientist, and the domains where informatics skills can be applied to critical organization missions.
They understand how data management, data visualization, data mining, and artificial intelligence techniques (specifically machine learning) are critical to the analysis process and how these can be applied to real-world challenges.
The Department of Computer Science also offers the following Master of Science in Computer Science degree program concentrations:
- MS in Computer Science
- MS in CS – Artificial Intelligence (On-campus only)
- MS in CS – Computer Security
- MS in CS – Computer Networks (On-campus only)
- MS in CS – Data Science
- MS in CS – Game Development (On-campus only)
- MS in CS – High Performance Computing and Simulation (On-campus only)
- MS in CS – Intelligent Robotics (On-campus only)
- MS in CS – Multimedia and Creative Technologies (On-campus only)
- MS in CS – Software Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Software Architecture
In addition, the Department of Computer Science is home to the following Data Science graduate program concentrations:
- MS in Communication Data Science (On-campus only)
- MS in Cyber Security Engineering
- MS in Environmental Data Science (On-campus only)
- MS in Healthcare Data Science (On-campus only)
- MS in Public Policy Data Science (On-campus only)
- MS in Spatial Data Science (On-campus only)
For a complete list of graduate programs offered online in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering, please visit the DEN@Viterbi Program Offerings.
A variety of career opportunities exist, but primarily in the areas of:
- Aerospace and Defense
- Computer Programming
- Computer Security
- Government Security
- Software Design
- Computer Simulation
- Information Technology
- Consulting Firms
Earn your Master of Science in Applied Data Science online via DEN@Viterbi. Request information today.
Same Faculty. Same Program. Same Degree.
DEN@Viterbi strives to meet the needs of engineering professionals, providing the opportunity to advance your education while maintaining your career and other commitments. By breaking down geographical and scheduling barriers, DEN@Viterbi allows you to take your classes anytime and anywhere.
DEN@Viterbi students undergo the same academic requirements, curriculum, and must adhere to the same academic standards as on-campus students; therefore, your diploma is ultimately issued by the University of Southern California. There is no difference between remote students and on-campus students.