USC Licensure Statement

In order to meet the US Department of Education notification requirements USC has a created a licensure portal at: to provide licensure information for all USC programs, both on-ground and online. The definitive information for our programs can be found at that site. We have also included supplemental information for the online programs below.

Master of Arts in Teaching an MAT degree from USC Rossier prepares you to earn your teaching credential in California.3You may also be eligible to obtain your teaching credential in other states; credential requirements differ from state to state. Make sure to research the requirements in the state in which you reside or intend to practice. Learn more about credentialing requirements by state.

Master of Education in School Counselling

The USC Rossier SC online program is officially recognized as a credentialing program that prepares students to be recommended for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing External link ’s Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling (PPS-SC) Credential. The PPS-SC Credential is required when applying to be a school counselor in California. In order to graduate, all SC online students must complete the Basic Skills Requirement External link  prior to starting field experience.

Applicants Outside of California

The USC Rossier Master of Education in School Counseling online program is a national program that is able to enroll residents in the United States. As USC Rossier is based in California, students who complete our program will be recommended for a California Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling (PPS-SC) Credential. A California credential, if earned, can be a competitive factor when applying for reciprocity in another state.

Master of Science in Nutrition, Healthspan and Longevity

The program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) You are eligible to take the Commission of Dietetics Registration’s national registration examination once you receive the master’s degree diploma. Once you pass, you receive the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) credential.

ACEND can be contacted by:

  • Email:
  • Phone: 800/877-1600, ext. 5400
  • Mail: 120 South Riverside Plaza
    Suite 2190, Chicago, IL 60606-6995 

Master of Science in Nursing

All students must possess an RN license in the state in which they will have their clinical assignments. To maximize options for clinical rotations, and minimize potential delays in starting clinical, students are also required to obtain an RN license in any state within a 100 mile radius of their preferred placement address. Students are advised to obtain these licenses prior to the start of their rotation and in consultation with the clinical placement team, as some states may not be approved for clinical placement. Failure to obtain licensure in a bordering state may jeopardize your plan of study and result in a leave of absence from the program.

For additional information, please visit the Nursing at USC website:

Master of Social Work

The MSW@USC Social Work program leads to a Master of Social Work degree. The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program is designed to meet the eligibility requirements for the Association of Social Work Boards exam and not an initial license. Licensure requirements, including levels of licensure vary by state, and students should contact their state licensing board to determine the state specific requirements for licensure, including any additional requirements beyond the scope of the program.

Doctor of Physical Therapy

The hybrid Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at the USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy is an academic program designed to enable a graduate to sit for the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) and meet the requirements to become a licensed physical therapist in the United States.

For additional information, please visit the DPT program website: