The Master of Science in Gerontology prepares graduates to assume major leadership roles in the field of aging, primarily in the planning, administration and evaluation of programs in the private and public sectors, as well as executive positions in the delivery of direct services to older people and their families and in the instruction of older adults and service providers.
The Master of Science in Gerontology online requires 44 units of course work. This includes 32 units of required courses and 12 units of electives. As part of this curriculum, a field practicum assures that these skills can be applied in agencies and institutional settings. This program is offered in both residential and online formats.
What To Expect In The MSG Program
- Students will utilize gerontological frameworks to examine human development and aging.
- Students will relate biological theory and science to understanding senescence, longevity and variation in aging.
- Students will relate psychological theories and science to understand adaptation, stability, and change in aging.
- Students will relate social theories and science of aging to understanding heterogeneity, inequality, and context of aging.
- Students will learn to distinguish factors related to aging outcomes, both intrinsic and contextual, through critical thinking and empirical research.
- Students will promote older persons’ strengths and adaptations to maximize well-being, health and mental status.
- Students will promote quality of life and positive social environment for older persons.
- Students will learn to employ and design programmatic and community development with and on behalf of the aging population.
- Students will learn to employ and generate policy to equitably address the needs of older persons.
- Students will engage in research to advance knowledge and improve interventions for older persons.
We place USC Leonard Davis School students in private companies, nonprofits and government agencies related to aging in Los Angeles, around the country and around the world.
Earn your Master of Science in Gerontology online. Request information today.