The program equips students with an understanding of how spatial data shapes decisions in the modern world and provides hands-on experience with leading-edge GIS tools.
The USC online MS in Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIST) program provides a core foundation in spatial thinking, while giving students the practical, hands-on experience to become adept spatial science practitioners across business, military and academic research.
The MS in GIST program offers training in spatial thinking, geospatial research and geospatial intelligence with a focus on problem solving. This gives USC graduates a unique edge within their GIS careers; they not only know how to use the technology, they know how to solve complex, multidisciplinary challenges.
“USC and the GIST program at the Spatial Sciences Institute have changed my life. The coursework was intellectually stimulating and challenging, and gave me the flexibility and skill set required to pursue a real-world thesis project.”
– Trevor Denson, MS in GIST, Class of 2017 (GIS and Data Manager at The Great Basin Institute)
We offer three tracks that enable students to build robust knowledge and capabilities to support them in their career trajectories.
Each track offers a choice of electives that have been especially curated to provide students with the opportunity to customize their course plan.
MS in GIST Program Tracks
- Geospatial Information Management
- Geospatial Programming and Software Development
- Geospatial Analytics
Experiential Learning Requirement
Our MS in GIST program will take students on a weeklong fieldwork excursion to the USC Wrigley Marine Science Center — a half-acre research and educational campus on Catalina Island.
Earn your Master of Science in Geospatial Information Science and Technology online.
GIS Career Options
- Pursue careers in public, military, private and nonprofit organizations. They make critical decisions, ranging from where to build new roads to planning response strategies for natural disasters and terrorist threats.
- GIST professionals leverage a variety of tools, such as GPS, image analysis software and remote sensing technology.
- One of the most important traits of successful GIST decision makers and leaders is that they are adept problem solvers. They leverage spatial thinking to create actionable solutions, going beyond the technology to form answers to their organizations’ toughest challenges.